Author Thread: Politics aside, the people who view this election as historic are fostering a racial divide.
bluebeard96

View Profile
History
Politics aside, the people who view this election as historic are fostering a racial divide.
Posted : 21 Jan, 2009 09:33 AM

Ok, so I don't recall how many people actually asked if I watched the swearing in (which I didn't), but to me it doesn't hold any historical significance.

Now, I'm not a Barack Supporter, as I don't belive his views align with my Christian values, but I'm willing to stand behind him as our President. However, I think he was voted in more because people "wanted to be a part of history" than because of his beliefs (and that's based on a LOT of Obama voters I've talked to about it). And especially amongst Christians, I found a lot of voters who didn't vote along Biblical lines, and that saddens me that people are either more concerned with being politically correct that in standing up for what they believe, or that they purport to be Christians but don't believe the lessons and teachings in the Bible.

I never doubted we could vote in a black president, woman president, whatever. But make it be about their beliefs. We should be saying congrats to Obama and working on fixing the various situations we're in - not focusing on the man-made "historical significance." Because if we do that, where does it stop? The first chinese W, the first woman X, the first gay Y, the first [insert your politically-correct, media-frenzied, minority name here] Z?

The very fact that people are denoting it as historically significant based on nothing more than a social classification is intrinsicly bigoted. If it's not about race, then subtract race from this election. Guess what, then there's nothing historical left for CNN to report on.

I do find it naive that some people think that his race - the very thing that makes it "historic" and has caused this fervor and frenzy - had absolutely nothing to do with him winning the election. It's just not possible.

All these people that are making an issue of the "first black president" are the very ones maintaining a racial divide in this country. We won't ever be united until we can see past the color, and make it of NO significance - not even historical. He should be Barack Obama, our nation's 44th President.. not Barack Obama, our nation's first black president.

Your thoughts?

Mike

View Profile
History
Politics aside, the people who view this election as historic are fostering a racial divide.
Posted : 21 Jan, 2009 10:13 AM

You have some very good points, and I believe along the same lines. I am glad to see that we elected a black man to office, I am just disappointed that we elected one who is so obviously liberal.

It is a shame that people claiming to be Christian don't realize that Christian and liberal are opposites. By voting for someone who believes in right to choose, you are voting for abortion. Just as if they had written on the ballot, "Do you believe in killing babies"? You have just cast a vote for murdering 50,000 babies each and every week. We kill more innocent children here every day than were killed in Gaza during the whole conflict, and we do it in the name of choice.

Leon

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jan, 2009 11:21 AM

I agree completely, good job!

Blessings, Jesusfreak47

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jan, 2009 11:32 AM

Mike,

A very thoughtful post. I know a lot of younger Christians in their 20s who voted for him. And it is sad, as the left's agenda goes against everything the Bible teaches. I think most who voted for him just got caught up in the moment, without considering the long term effects. As for the Christians who voted for him maybe they should watch less TV and read their Bible's more!

Jesusfreak47

angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jan, 2009 02:29 PM

I think that a lot of people voted very blindly in this election and it is very sad. A lot of people who voted for Obama are those who do not read politics and don't even really understand the issues. You could not have paid me any amount of money to vote for Obama. Also, the Liberal media is a joke.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jan, 2009 02:46 PM

Amen, my sister.